Sunday, September 11, 2011

Kela's Gets YW Medallion by Proxy

11 September 2011The YW medallion is the equivalent to the Eagle Scout award, and requires dedication and hard work to earn. Eight months ago, this special man, Bishop Hinrichsen, was inspired to ask our young women to take on the daunting task of achieving this honored award on behalf of Kela.


The girls did not hesitate to accept this challenge. They did 53 value experiences, plus 70 hours worth of projects, and the Book of Mormon was read completely through...all for Kela. They journaled about their experiences and what they learned. The young women were not allowed to pass off the requirements in duplicate. They had to literally do the work for Kela and it could not count for any of their own requirements. Two people stand out to me in this assignment: Charlotte Mills (who read the entire BofM) and Rylea Driscoll (who completed 17 of the requirements by herself). All of the girls participated and did much to make this moment possible. "By small and simple things are great things brought to pass."


These are the wonderful leaders who encouraged the success of this great undertaking, and who have loved Kela tremendously through it all.




They gave Kela a couple of momentos: a scrapbook with the girls' experiences/testimonies and the Book of Mormon that Charlotte read for her as a keepsake (with her name engraved and scriptures marked).


The book is almost as big as her! :)


She has thoroughly enjoyed flipping through this wonderful gift. You know how much she loves books and paper!


And, of course, the pictures are her absolute favorite!


This will be treasured forever!


Super cool!


I'm glad that my whole family could be there to witness this very spiritual experience. The entire sacrament meeting was dedicated to the young women and Kela (except for two testimonies (one my hubby) at the end regarding 9-11--that's why he's is in his uniform). The YW sang some BEAUTIFUL songs and shared some great thoughts. I had to bear my testimony in the middle of the program, and honestly, my mind was all over the place and I'm sure I sounded like a complete fool with jumbled thoughts, but really...this occasion had me pretty flustered! What'd they expect?! Therefore, I will attempt to say how I feel now:




From the beginning, I knew and understood that this was something very special. I also knew that this was not really about Kela. It was something far beyond her. Quite frankly, Kela didn't understand any of it (not now anyway), but this experience was really for the girls and those who could witness it. I knew that they were doing something for her that she could not do for herself. Just like our savior who has done things for us that we cannot do for ourselves. I think of him in the Garden of Gethsemene suffering for the sins of mankind...my sins. I think of his sacrifice and love that spans the eternities and how it reaches every individual and penetrates each soul. I think of his healing power and the miracles performed...the ones recorded and the ones still being executed...even the ones in my own life (past and present). As I think of how the Savior has definitely done things for me that I could not do for myself, I stand in awe and wonder how it is possible to repay the great gesture. To follow in those footsteps and be like he in a small degree is indeed admirable. To be a savior to another is what we are asked to do. Temple service, of course, affords us that opportunity in many ways. However, there are many acts of service that are given that would fall under this defnition as well. I've been the giver and the receiver of these wonderful acts, and no matter what side I fall under, there is a spirit that powerfully radiates in the midst of it all. Charity truly never faileth. Therefore, when I heard of this YW medallion idea, I knew that this was going to be something special...not just for Kela...but for the girls and all those involved. I knew that when the YW made the decision to sacrifice their time, they would inevitably be enveloped with the Savior's love which would empower them to be even more valiant than they already were. I also knew this would make an impression on them that would assist them in future events. I'm sure they will reflect on this many times to come. I AM SO PROUD OF THESE GIRLS! There's nothing more attractive on a girl than her virtue. They are proving to be a righteous generation, strong and courageous, steady and sure, living with valiant faith, and not compromising their standards as they go forward in the Lord's strength. I'm grateful that Kela could be used as an instrument in the Lord's hand to bring about much good for them, and that this experience could be shared with many to touch their hearts too. God impresses me all the time with his wisdom and love. I will always be dedicated to Him, for I have learned there is nothing greater than he!!!! I know that God lives and that Jesus is the Christ. I truly appreciate that knowledge for it has bore me up through many trials.


THANKS FOR LETTING ME BE A PART OF THIS!

4 comments:

House of Squitty said...

I'm too hormonal to read your thoughts on this...the pictures alone made me cry! I am so impressed with those YW and the leaders who encouraged and organized this. Kela is one loved young woman!

Huke, Lollie, and Gracie! said...

so so neat!

April said...

I'm so glad that Isabel was able to participate in this. It was a really neat experience for her and all of the YW. Kela is such a sweetie and I'm so happy for her!

Anonymous said...

I have to say this has got to be the best story I've heard in a while, the efforts all the YW expended for Kela is awesome. I truly felt the power of the experience for you 9000 miles away, in a place you don't see too much of it. Kela you deserve it.
-Uncle Anthony-